Monday, December 26, 2011

Aloneness vs. Loneliness

It doesn’t take much to change from the word aloneness to the word loneliness, you just have to remove one vowel and add another.  It doesn’t take much to change from one condition on the other either.

Just a couple weeks ago I had a weekend, where I found myself home alone 2 consecutive nights.  All of my family and friends just had other things going on.  The first night I was able to be content in my aloneness.  I was able to catch up on some things I had let get behind.  I was able to do some extra Bible study.  I read some out one of the books I was currently reading.  I was content to be on my own.

The very next night was a complete and total different story.  I couldn’t focus on anything other than feeling overwhelming loneliness.  I tried reading a book.  I tried studying in my Bible.  I tried watching TV.   Nothing, I couldn’t focus on anything other than the fact I was sitting alone, all by myself, with no one else. 

What changed in a night?  To be honest I don’t know.  The first night was a Saturday, I made the best of my aloneness.  The next night was a Sunday night.  I went to church Sunday morning, had lunch with friends and took a nap earlier in the day.  Then came Sunday night, and there I was just absolutely wallowing in loneliness.  I don’t think I had much of an attitude change, if anything I would have thought my attitude was better than the previous day.

If you know the difference in the two nights, please share.  I would certainly like to avoid another night of overwhelming loneliness.  But, until someone shares the answer with me I will do my best to be content when I find myself alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment