Sunday, December 25, 2011

Trusting God's Promises.

Lately I have been clinging to verses like Jeremiah 29:11 (For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future) and Romans 8:28 (And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him). 

The verses are very clear in their promises, but sometimes it is hard to see past our present.  It seems that our present is so big and painful that it is difficult to imagine that it is going to lead to a future worth hoping for.  Sometimes it is hard to imagine that God is working for my good despite what I am going through. 

I can look at my past and see that He has never let me down before.  Even when times seemed really bad, I know that in the end I have never been let down.  I know I’ve been in places where I felt that I had been completely abandoned by God, yet before I knew it I felt Him close and saw Him working.

So why is it that I can find myself in a place where my present circumstances seem so big and hairy that I doubt Him and His ability to overcome everything?  I know His promises, and I know my past experience, but I yet I still doubt.  Maybe it is because I’m scared of what is in His best interest for me.  Maybe it doesn’t look like what I want it to look like.  Maybe because I know it might be painful to get there. 

For now I will do the best that I can to truly trust that He “plans to prosper me and not harm me, plans to give me a hope and a future.”

No comments:

Post a Comment